Fertility Evaluation

The desire to have children is not an unusual one; in fact, over 350,000 babies are born into the world each day. However, having a child of your own could present a unique set of unexpected challenges including many factors that may be causing you trouble in the fertility process like age, lifestyle choices and external influences. If you find that you and your partner have repeatedly attempted to conceive, and in the process have been consistently unsuccessful, infertility of some variety may be the culprit. A fertility evaluation involves physical exams, as well as medical and sexual histories of both partners, in order to isolate the root cause of your fertility woes.

To schedule a consultation with a fertility specialist in that specializes in fertility evaluation and treatment, call (408) 946-9453 or contact us online.

Fertility Testing: What to Expect

If you are having difficulties getting pregnant, your healthcare provider will recommend you undergo fertility testing if:

Fertility may be caused by a number of factors. About 40% of couples are infertile due to more than one cause, while the remaining 60% of couples are infertile due to a problem caused by one partner's infertility. Your fertility specialist will begin your initial fertility evaluation and treatment appointment by taking a thorough medical history of each partner. Questions will likely be asked regarding past surgeries, preexisting or chronic illnesses, past hospitalizations as well as whether any previous fertility-related treatments were undergone. Additionally, questions about your lifestyle will be asked, relating to possible stress, weight fluctuations, or the use of tobacco, alcohol, drugs or any current and past medications.

You will also be asked to provide a detailed account of your reproductive history, including any information related to previously attempted pregnancies, miscarriages, elective abortions as well as sexually transmitted diseases (STDs). While some embarrassment regarding these personal questions is only natural, it is important to be forthright with your healthcare provider to ensure all factors are considered.

Fertility Evaluation and Treatment

Once a detailed medical history is covered, your healthcare provider will then complete a fertility workup of both partners, which could consist of many different fertility tests.

Male fertility testing may include:

Female fertility testing may include:

After Your Fertility Evaluation

Following both the male and female tests for fertility, your healthcare provider will discuss the results, any infertility issues he or she has observed as well as how to proceed.

Fertility evaluation by a trained fertility specialist can help you navigate the process. To schedule a fertility evaluation in , call (408) 946-9453 or contact us online.

Author
Gul A. Zikria, MD, FACOG As an expert in preventive care, innovative treatment solutions, and laparoscopic surgery, board-certified OB/GYN Gul A. Zikria, MD, FACOG, is a trusted practitioner who’s been in private practice since 1985. Dr. Zikria earned his doctor of medicine from Rutgers New Jersey Medical School in Newark. He went on to complete a competitive surgical residency program at Georgetown University in Washington. Dr. Zikria then went through a comprehensive obstetrics and gynecology residency program through the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center at the Magee-Women’s Hospital. He welcomes new and existing patients to his practice in Milpitas, California.

You Might Also Enjoy...

Learn How Tubal Ligation Reversal Works

Deciding to get pregnant is a big decision and one that’s possible even after getting your tubes tied. Learn how tubal ligation reversal works, and see if it’s an option for you and your family.

Wrinkles Treatment

Wrinkles are a natural part of aging, but can damage confidence and self-esteem nonetheless. Skin naturally sags, stretches and changes with age. But wrinkles, especially in people who are not elderly, can be unsightly and many people choose to seek...

Weekend Liposuction Procedures

Love handles? Saddlebags? No matter what you call excess fat, it has a major effect on your appearance. People frequently turn to liposuction as a way to contour their bodies and have a sexier, more youthful appearance.